Monday, November 19, 2012

Well, it's that time of year again.  Back to Haiti for the second (and final) round of the Habitat for Humanity Jimmy Carter Work Project.  I was able to coerce a friend, and fellow VW colleague, Tony Cooke, to join me this year.  Hopefully he won't hate me when we get back :).

This Friday, we fly to Atlanta for orientation, and then off to Port au Prince on Saturday morning.  We begin the build the build on Sunday morning, and finish on Friday.  The final 100 homes.  Tony and I will be joined by about 600 of our closest friends, as well as President and Mrs. Carter.

This year we will bealso joined by a large group from Haven Partnership in Ireland.  Haven worked the build site last year before our arrival, and some of them stayed around for another week to staff the mess hall and continue the build.  I am thrilled to have the whole Haven group joining us this year.  We would have starved to death last year without the Irish!

I am hoping to update this blog daily, provided my camera and communication network is as good as it was last year.  If not, you get to hear all about it when I get back.  I know our team is much better prepared this year, and know exactly what to expect.  FYI, below are links to both the HfH and Haven websites that talk more about the project.

http://www.habitat.org/cwp/2012

http://www.havenpartnership.com/

All the Best,
John

No comments:

Post a Comment